So, you’re ready to sell your St Petersburg home. It’s time to figure out what stays and what goes. This article provides suggestions and ideas to help improve your home’s appearance. Fact: Houses showing better tend to sell much faster. Take curb appeal for instance, curb appeal definitely leaves a potential buyer wanting more. Hey, your neighbors probably voted your home for best yard!
Let’s start with inside the home:
- A clean home is key! Make sure all rooms have been cleaned from top to bottom. If you need assistance, consider calling a local professional cleaning service.
- Clean carpets. If they are stained, consider replacing.
- Remove clutter to make your home look tidy. Example: If you’re not using the toaster or mixer tuck it away.
- Paint interior walls neutral colors. This helps make rooms look larger and pleases a majority of potential buyers.
- Replace damaged wood, door handles, light fixtures and broken glass in windows.
- Repair or replace leaking faucets and showerheads.
- Clean and air out any foul odors such as smoke and pet odors. Foul odors will scare away a HUGE number of potential buyers.
- Tuck away the family photos. Let the buyer imagine their family in the home.
- Polish chrome and brass fixtures so they’re always shining.
- Clean all lightbulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home. Again, this step will help make the home look larger.
- Wash all windows inside and outside.
- If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
- Items you don’t use, want or need any more consider donating it to a local charity.
Outside the home:
- Curb appeal is extremely helpful.
- Replace dull mulch and add bright flowers to the landscape.
- Do you have a fireplace? Inspect and clean the chimney (inside and out).
- Make sure plants and shrubs look neat and healthy. Be sure to trim any tree limbs that may be encroaching on the roof or other parts of the home. Potential buyers may ask for tree trimming when submitting an offer.
- Make sure the Address Numbers are placed in a clearly visible spot.
- Clean gutters.
- Repair broken steps and sidewalks to avoid any trip hazards.
- Keep the lawn maintained at all times.
- Remove clutter from breezeway, porches and patios.
- The front door should look great and be in working condition. Apply a fresh coat of paint, fix a wobbly door handle, replace broken glass…
- Replace or repair damaged fencing. Be sure you can enter and exit the door successfully.
- If you are moving to a neighborhood where lawn maintenance is covered, consider selling your lawn care items on Nextdoor, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist or simply donate them to a local charity.
- Be sure to have foundation cracks inspected.
The above list should keep you busy as you begin preparing for the sale of your home. If you would like assistance feel free to contact us via website, text, email or direct line at 727-251-3487.